My dentist recommends dental bonding for my upper eight front teeth. My teeth are stained, chipped, and unevenly spaced. At first, I wanted veneers, but after I learned that they cost about $1,500 per tooth, I decided to look for veneers online. I found a complete set of veneers online for $900. My dentist’s cost for bonding on all eight teeth is $600. I do not want to go by price alone, but which is the better option?
Thank you. Desireé from Arlington, VA
Thank you for your question.
Composite veneers require a highly skilled cosmetic dentist to get good results. A cosmetic dentist blends and layers composite to mimic natural tooth structure, texture, and color. And composite is applied by hand and sculpted directly on your teeth. If you need composite for eight front teeth and your dentist’s fee is only $600, be assured that you will not get good results.
Composite vs. Porcelain Veneers
Although an advanced cosmetic dentist can beautifully restore your teeth with dental composite, it does not last as long as porcelain veneers. Below are lists of differences.
- Composition: Dental resin (plastic) and glass
- Application: Layers of composite individual applied and hardened directly on your teeth
- Longevity: Five years if you take good care of it
- Stain resistance: It will absorb stains over time
- Tooth preparation: Light etching
- Cost per tooth from an experienced cosmetic dentist: $1,200 and up
- Composition: Dental porcelain
- Application: Each custom veneer bonds to the fronts and sides of your teeth
- Longevity: Eight to twenty years if you take care of them
- Stain resistance: Colorfast and stain resistant
- Tooth preparation: No or minimal preparation
- Cost per tooth from an experienced cosmetic dentist: $1,500 to $2,500
What About Online Veneers?
Online veneers fit over your natural teeth. They are made as one unit and will make your teeth look bulky. They do not correct the flaws in your teeth or restore your health.
Schedule Cosmetic Dentistry Consultations
We recommend that you find two to three advanced cosmetic dentists in your area. Schedule a consultation with each dentist to discuss your options for restoring your teeth. Be prepared to invest in a healthy, beautiful smile that looks natural. If you want to pay for care over time, ask about financing or payment plans. Best wishes on your smile makeover.
Cosmetic dentist Mohamed Imam, DDS of San Antonio, sponsors this post.